Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

tdotkrayz
I need a master to polish my skillz

can you train me?

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

What do I have to teach you?  What do you want to become able to do?

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

tdotkrayz
I want to be able to charm my way into the Teamliquid community with clever little witticisms and other seeming nonsensical yet profoundly deep posts such as your own.

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

This post was updated on .
Well, I don't know if I can teach that, but, you're welcome to hang out here, ask questions, talk to me, etc.

IMO my best posts came from when I started reading difficult texts that interested me--things like Marx.  If you go to Barnes and Noble and go to the Philosophy section you should see a big orange book called the Marx-Engels reader.  The introductions by the editor are good reads themselves.  Working through some of the very short early entries in the reader seemed to be innately good for my brain.  If this isn't for you, perhaps some other book will be.  Find something that you are fascinated by yet takes you a long while to figure out just a single page--if you are looking for this effect.

I also think typing fast has contributed to my TL success.  If you type less than 100 WPM (for letters only) I recommend you work on that with some good, out of date typing tutor software you can pirate or "abandonware" even.

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

tdotkrayz
Have you ever read any Freud?

I find that to be the most fascinating to me.

But I'll definitely try Karl (the last human encyclopedia) Marx as well.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

Yeah Freud can be good too.  The point isn't really the content; it's how you feel about it.  The method that worked for me was:

1.  Something hard to read, i.e. you struggle to get through a couple pages, but afterwards you have become able to understand what they are saying.
2.  The style is unusual to you but you don't dislike it.
3.  You find yourself writing and speaking differently in a good way because of the exposure.

For you this could be Freud, Marx, Nietzsche, or Dr. Seuss.  But reading and writing seem connected, and reading "better" enriches your writing, ultimately--sometimes in strange ways.  Find your book/writer that nudges you.

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

tdotkrayz
I'm currently reading a book called "Zero: biography of a dangerous idea" by Charles Siefe

A lot of the concepts are pretty simple but I really like the general flow of the book as well as the author's writing style.

I'll get to Marx after I'm done with it.  Shouldn't take long, it's not that long of a book.

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

Matt
This is kind of interesting. I like the points about how reading improves your writing, the changes authors give to your own tone after you've read them and the myriad sources we draw from in finding our own "voice". I'm a little bit torn with the suggestion you need something to fundamentally challenge you though, over say a single page or two. I guess this is similar to how I feel though, just expressed differently. I haven't found it difficult to read some of my favourite texts but then I have found myself rereading a page and pondering on the ideas for hours afterward or in discussion with friends.

Btw Tdot, you come across really intelligent and normal here. While you were around when I was at TL, I never saw much of you until after your bans. So I'm somewhat taken-aback by this dichotomy of your villain/troll status on TL and your thoughtful posts here. What are your thoughts on why you're banned from TL? I'm curious and have no strong inclination either way.

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

tdotkrayz
They cannot ban that which is equipped with proxies.

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

intrigue
ya i agree lol they must be so madd about that, i cant wait. also becaues you canot run out of proxy ip address so you can do this for foreverrr. team liquid is so bad :)

Re: Can I be your apprentice STIMEY

Well, one mistake people make is thinking all reading is the same kind of task or skill.  I think we pick this up because we are drilled into reading tasks uncritically for a long time (in school) and then continue to think reading is just something we do (like walking) later in life when it comes to the web or newspapers.  This also makes people intolerant of texts that don't fit their "standard reading" act/skill.

Sometimes more advanced academic tasks break people of these misconceptions about reading---but often people get through without having realized that there is more than one kind of reading out there.  Just because it's hard to read Kant doesn't mean he's a poor writer or an idiot (or does it?  that's a debate to be had.)  Regardless, being able to read texts that demand more from the reader and do less of the work for you (they're less pre-digested perhaps) is to some extent like a muscle--it can be very weak or very strong.

There are texts that you read easily that others would whine about, and so forth.

Anyways, I have no idea why I wrote all this.  I just would like to encourage you to find a book that baffles you and then find one of those that actually messes with how you write.  When this has happened to me, I've loved it.