Cheating

Arbitur
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=119403

I think you guys regular TL.net quite alot but incase you have missed this thread i thought i'd share it with you. Hopefully this won't kill Starcraft as an e-sport.

Re: Cheating

tdotkrayz
cheat 2 win brah

Re: Cheating

tdotkrayz
i dont think anyone cares about cheating to lose tbh

Re: Cheating

Arbitur
Hopefully the koreans won't care too much, if they do professional Starcraft might die like Warcraft 3 after the map rigging incident.

Re: Cheating

Well, I hadn't heard of this yet, and I think it's interesting.

I often have thought of how something like the horse-racing model could work damn well with pro gaming, were it not for the legal barriers.  Rigging matches of course would be forbidden regardless, which is the real crime.

But it's hard to enforce if you think about it.  How can you force somebody to "really try to win."  How can you prove that they didn't?

That is why laws instead target things that are more possible to demonstrate, even if not really necessary to outlaw by themselves.  In this case, outlawing gambling is one such attempt.  Basically, if you are playing in a sport you should not be allowed to bet against yourself, or give any kind of compensation to people who lose.  You could bet on yourself to win without doing any damage to the system, but you can't receive money for losing or give money to loser.

I hope StarCraft can survive this scandal.  I have no idea how ROK will react to this.