China stuff

Kaz

China stuff

Kaz
Please post random shit you do or see in China. I think it's all very interesting.

Re: China stuff

This post was updated on .
I haven't found any good pics to put yet, but today I took the bus with the misses down to the center of the city, we walked to a clock shop to return a funky clock that didn't work (we bought it yesterday--$5 USD), then we walked down to where the Brasilian BBQ steak house is, but it isn't open between 3 and 5 (they run a crazy awesome buffet, more on that some other time), so we walked down to the city square and ate at this pseudo-"Italian" restaurant that is kind of like Chinese fast food but with pasta, pizzas, etc. and a little bit nicer.  It's pretty cheap.  They punch what you order into their little pseudo cell phones so it goes right to the kitchen, and you pay right when you order (at your table).  Like most places in China they bring it to you as it is ready, although here they seem to know to bring your drinks first, then appetizers, then the rest.  Also unusual about this place is that they only give you fork knife and spoon (no chopsticks).  Last time I was here I got some kind of risotto Italian seasoning thing with mozzorella cheese melted on top.  This time I got "Curry Chicken Steak", which again was yellow curry sauce over some fluffy rice, with a thick, crispy nice cut of chicken (unlike almost all chicken here which is typically prepared and served on the bone in little pieces), again with tons of mozzarella melted on top.  We drink these fizzy blueberry things (3 of them), got some waffle fries, this bread thing filled with meat and with cheese on it, and she got the cheap pizza, which had corn, peas, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, pineapple on it (you don't choose your topics you just pick which pizza--they have Thai pizzas, all kinds of weird stuff.  she got the garden vegetable pizza).  So she ate half the pizza (small pizza) and we took the rest home.  All this for under $11 USD.  Then we went to take the bus home but our bus number wasn't at the first two stops we walked past, so we had to backtrack a ways to get on our bus.  At night I played basketball by myself a bit, tried to keep the heart rate up and work on my shot, started doing pullups again.  We went out to get some food for tommorow morning (leftovers) but everywhere is closed at 8 PM except cool places like the place we went to, but that was too far for our little quick run, so we came back empty handed (actually I got a purple gatorade which was so cold so it was easy to chug).  Then I prepared and uploaded lesson plans for three diff grades for two diff weeks, and went to bed after taking a shower.

There's some beggars but a lot of them are fakers and at any rate if you give them money they will follow you forever, no matter what you give them.  Also the road my school is on has more than half a dozen brothels.  Prostitution seems tolerated here as long as they stay indoors.  They sit around knitting, watching tv, doing homework etc.  My school's cafeteria food isn't very good.  Shower and kitchen haven't been easy, but our room is big, we've got interwebs, etc.  Good pay, we don't have to spend much except fancy convenience eating out food and cabs (more than bus but like $1-$2 depending on how far).

Maybe I'll find some decent pictures later if you're interested in any of the above.  Or if not, let me know what aspect of China you're interested in.  Besides bars I've bought Bailey's, Kahlua, Vodka so far, and some Wine Soda type things (~5% alcohol).

Here's a pic.  Above is a shot from my window of the construction crew jackhammering the foundation of my room and whatnaught 2 AM the night before my first day of teaching.  They also had the water off to do this, and it wasn't turned on until late the next day, so we had about 24 hours w/o the ability to bathe or flush the toilet, wash clothes, etc.  The power also kept going out randomly.