Low Stakes NL Poker

perisie xx
This post was updated on .
it might be useful if i write down what i've been learning/developing

i started off playing "any hand" loose

i have been very actively refining my play over the hours, deciding on a technique then implementing and revising it on the go

interestingly, this has lead me to "tighten up" in many different ways, almost it seems to the point of playing as if on full ring tables instead of 6max

on a 6 player table:

NOTE many of these are still under revision. those asterixed especially of note

SECTION (A)

FROM UTG-BUTTON+1

Raise
AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT*

Reraise
AK, AQ, AJ, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, TT* (not sure about others here......)

Limp
Smaller pocket pairs

Call reraise
Pocket pairs (- consider rereraising certain hands eg AA KK QQ)
AK

SECTION (B)
FROM BUTTON

Raise
AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ
All suited connectors (25s, 59s, J8s)
Small pocket pairs
Ace-X-suited (Axs)
Ace-ten

Call Raise
Small pocket pairs

Reraise
AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT*
All suited connectors (25s, 59s, J8s)*
Do NOT play Axs*

Call reraise
Pocket pairs (- consider rereraising certain hands eg AA KK QQ)
AK

SECTION (C)
FROM SMALL BLIND

Limp
AT, KQ, KJ, QJ (perhaps more?)
Suited connectors
Small pocket pairs
Axs

Call
Small pocket pairs

Raise
AK, AQ, AJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT*

Reraise
AK, AQ, AJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ

Call reraise
Pocket pairs (- consider rereraising certain hands eg AA KK QQ)
AK

SECTION (D)
FROM BIG BLIND

Same as small blind

Note I have not included details for dealing with rereraises; in most cases these are folds I believe.

These ranges and actions are open to debate. Many may come across as absolutes (for example including 26s in the same range as 98s). These are hands that have very similar functions and can be viewed similarly, however.

Originally I was treating Button+1 (the position preceding the button) the same as I would treat the button, however I increasingly became uncomfortable with this and decided to remove it.

Some actions may seem odd, such as limping KQ or AT in the small blind/big blind. However, I loathe playing "out of position" and am currently valueing position above all other things.

Re: Low Stakes NL Poker

I can't understand the way you write about this stuff still.  Always seems to leave me with more questions than answers.

I don't think about position directly anymore, I think of it more as "how many people get to act after me" and what do I think about them?  I.e. my estimation of how many will call, what the chances of a reraise are, vs. a fold, times the amount of people remaining, is roughly how I act.

I play really loose currently.  I basically raise big any pair, any suited connectors, and any suited ace.  I bluff rarely but enough so that my pot sized bets are tempting for the garbage hands.  Basically I try to back down to anyone who knows what they're doing and I try to set up pots with the people that I know will call a shove with Axo and the like.  I also try to figure out who will fold to bluffs because most of them seem incapable of folding.  There's also these people who will call anything until river, then they fold if they don't hit.  IDFK TBH.  When you can 20bet preflop and get 4 callers you have to factor that in.

Re: Low Stakes NL Poker

perisie xx
These are Rules which I abide to without exception.

These Rules put you in ideal positions and keep you safe from the possibility of making mistakes.

They simplify your decisions post-flop.

One other rule I must unfortunately throw in after some hours of 10NL experience, is that the risk of bluffing - even the most intelligent bluffs you can possibly conceive - is not worth the reward of bluffing. At these limits, people don't need a reason to call (or fold to) your bluffs - infact, one of the most common reasons they might call you is simply "curiosity".

When you are playing people who will call you down at any point for reasons starting as low/simple as "curiosity" and "lack of the most basic poker knowledge", not a single bluff is worthwhile. Note this comment is from recent experience; I have made insufferably intelligent and completely uncallable bluffs from time to time, and they are still called. You are "lucky" when someone DOESN'T call your bluff - and that is the exact opposite way you should be playing poker [: if it's unprofitable, then don't do it].

With regards to your 2nd paragraph, I think (at least on basic stakes) you needn't consider position so broadly. The way I am playing is this: Range A = I am potentially playing out of position. Range B = I am definately playing in position. That's just 2 catagories.

I'm not messing around here, thinking "eh there's 3 people left to act behind me; I "might" end up playing out of position so this hand "might" end up badly.

I'm thinking, "i'm not playing from the button, so this hand that I am to play MUST be a hand with which being out of position will not affect how I play the hand."

To summarise (if only to clarify what the hand ranges in previous post actually MEAN):

a) When out of position, you are only playing hands with which being out of position does not matter, since your post-flop play is pretty much pre-determined. [A good example is "set mining" - when you limp/call all pocket pairs regardless of position, because all you're hoping to do is flop a set, and know that if you don't then you're going to simply check/fold the flop]

b) Do not bluff at these stakes. Don't even bother with intelligent bluffs. It's not worth it, not one bit.

I'm not sure if that summary was actually correct (especially when I say it is because your post-flop play is predetermined), perhaps the more verbose explanation was better. Would have to give it more thought (whilst playing).

Note that I make a point of saying that these hand ranges are particularly tight (I feel almost as if I should be playing full ring). This is WHAT WORKS BEST at these limits, playing 8 simultaenious tables of 6max. [Note this is only my current opinion, however it has been supported by at least one other person so far.]

Re: Low Stakes NL Poker

I don't think that clarifies things for me at all.  I would need to study what you've written for many hours before I would have any chance to be following your advice.

I know that you know more about poker than me, but to me, your advice about bluffing seems results-oriented.  It's up to you/me to estimate the chances of them calling a bluff with whatever.  If our estimate is correct, it's +ev in some cases.  If you put them on a 5% chance to call with a hand you will geat X% of the time, then that's something you have to think about.  I can't possibly see how it is never worth the reward when you can clearly observe some guys will lay down quite predictably a solid % of the time.