Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

This post was updated on .
IF YOU WERE LINKED HERE FROM TL, PLEASE KNOW THAT MY FORUM'S ROOT IS http://n2.nabble.com/Talk-To-Stimey%2C-Please.-f1324083.html

Original topic below:

see http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=88119

A mod, FakeSteve, is making this thread/contest apparently to help their sponsor, Razer, get what they want from TL.  In exchange for this perversion of the forum, one lucky person will get some random piece of shit.

Anyone like where this is going?  It's not going to be treated like a real thread, because there are ulterior motives.  Razer's and TL's interests are at stake, so real discussion will have to be "dealt with"--including any other threads or discussions that happen at the same time that may undermine the effort.  In other words, these threads are precisely anti-community and anti-forum, and they probably aren't even getting a good deal out of it.

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

It's like the mods are spamming their own forum, breaking their own commandments.  Almost as sad as how they try so hard to make Starcraft 2 a prominent forum.

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

fakesteve
i work for razer you dunce

after many years of free labor i don't see a problem in using TL to help me with my job

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

fakesteve
And i'm pretty up front about this being free market research for razer, that's why we're giving stuff away

perhaps these concepts are over your head and you think this is the first step to a corporate takeover of TL

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

No it's over your head.  You are a moderator.  No one else would be allowed to do this.  It's because you're staff, and because they have a business relationship with TL.  Your writing in the thread is pathetic BTW I've never seen such an obvious attempt at sounding enthusiastic about some bullshit.

The net result of the thread is:  TL has decided to shift even more of its real estate to ads--part of its forum threads itself, part of its staff, etc.  It's vulgar.

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

Think of it this way, if it helps.  Would TL allow every mod to make a thread like this in general?  Simultaneously?  No?  Then how about, one for each sponsor?  No?  What's wrong with them then?  They aren't interesting.  They aren't real content.  They're abuse in the same way ads are, except they are encroaching into the non-ad space, the space that is supposed to attract people TO the ads in the first place.  In other words they're crossing the line.

So you wouldn't allow every mod, or every sponsor, to put a thread (let alone a sticky) into General?  What's the reason then?  "Because it's only 1"?  Nope, that's a horrible reason too.  You wouldn't allow "only one" thread about age of consent, or "only one" thread about religion, or about why TL sucks.  So "only one" doesn't turn forbidden into acceptable, not in your minds.

So what's the conclusion?  There is no real reason, except that it's convenient--no reason, except that you guys want to.  "This is our house" indeed.  You're doing something you should know to be horrible in many situations, something disgusting, but you have no problem with it when it happens to serve you.  That's why it's so disgusting.  When it's convenient, there will be five shitty threads like this stealing the read-space from General.  Because you guys have no principles.  Disgusting.

You guys seem to want to become another shitty gamer site where 90% of the content is ads and 10% are ads pretending to be content written by "staff" bought out by the gaming industry.  Shit that NO ONE WANTS TO READ.

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

And yes I'm referring to your weird relationship with Blizzard as well and your horrible defense / attempted hype of soon-to-be-failed-a-la-War3-game SC2.  Embarrassing!

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

fakesteve
lol

TL will become a corporate hell, you must be SO glad you're not along for the ride

oh wait, you keep registering accounts

save us stimey, save us!!!!!

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

Glad to see the mods are so capable of such good posts.  I can see why they decided to make you a gatekeeper of forum activity.

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

I mean fuck, how about you give me a sticky to hype my site, and I'll choose one person who responds to my post and I'll give them some earbuds?  Is that all it takes to buy a sticky on TL?

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

tdotkrayz
Whenever I get angry, I always think back to a quote from Bertrand Russell:

"If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do."

It's helped me to think clearly whenever anger begins to invade my thoughts.

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

You don't think sometimes you can be wrong because someone else's opinion is so stupid in the face of what you've already argued/said?  Don't get me wrong, I like Bertrand Russel and respect the value of self-criticism.  But if others aren't even offering any support for their contrary opinion nor any rebuttal of my support for mine, how happy do I need to be about their snide/evasive behavior?

btw do you know where the quote is from?

Re: Mods Creating Threads In Cooperation w/Sponsors

tdotkrayz
I think it was, "An Outline of Intellectual Rubbish" (1943).