hrm schedualling...

perisie xx
i quit drinking (for good) on monday/tuesday.
which also means i have now quit smoking (for good). i have been chewing nicotine gum furiously instead.

i played poker on wednesday, tuesday, thursday, and have re-established myself somewhat. (what this means is, it was very difficult "coming back" to poker after X years, and my gameplay went from bad to worse to ghastly before i've managed to steer it back on course).

i bought a small weight-lifting set with various weights so i think i'll try that out now, and some sit-ups.

a healthy diet is one where you consume many small meals instead of 1-2 large ones per day. i don't really have the money to buy proper food right now, but i'll go shopping later today and get some more tinned fish, bread, some milk to go with my museli.

i also started a bit of cleaning - filling some bags and airing the kitchen before i really get stuck in.

these are good chores to do inbetween poker sessions.

Re: hrm schedualling...

That's pretty good.  How long before poker covers all your expenses?

Right now I wish I would read, jog, and meditate more.  And learn a couple of foreign languages.  But I use my morning free time mostly to catch up with my internet friends.  I haven't had much other free time this week because I've been grading papers pretty much all day.

Re: hrm schedualling...

perisie xx
well, i wouldn't like to make any predictions or claims whatsoever with regards to how much money i can or will make from poker. you need to take it day by day, as a hobby, and not really think about how much you earn or are earning - it's just a burden otherwise. since i am working full time, and have intentions to return to university this year to study, i am really only seeing poker as something to occupy myself with that is more constructive than drinking and playing MMOs. i would probably be better off learning a language or studying/reading things that would be useful to my degree.

being able to pay next month's bills is just an affect (a pretty vital one i might add!) of this hobby!

i played again today, ~2500 hands. the first 1000 or so i made some noticeably bad plays and decided to modify my game yet further (tightening up intelligently).

interestingly, the emotional impact that "bad beats" and other frustrating situations have on me is next to nothing. i spent 12 hours playing 2 days ago, and didn't once look at my bankroll - not even when i quit in order to go to bed. i really have developed greatly as a person since i last played (and i already knew this - it's just fun to see it in action).

Re: hrm schedualling...

perisie xx
Ran pretty hot today! (joke)

PokerEV says I'm down approximately 3.5 buyins from my expectated "all in" results. Combine that with the fact I had what I call "setup city" this afternoon and I'm quite content so far. Plus I continued to develop my style and skills, adding in my new small blind play.

I'm wondering if these posts are encouraging you to stick your foot back in it again. Since we are sort of at the same level (I'm re-learning everything) and limits. O/c I know how busy you are. I'm off to bed (midnight!!) now since I have 12 hour shift tomorrow.

Re: hrm schedualling...

Actually poker is one of the things I consider to be something I "want to do", only problem is I get discouraged because I always seem to just get worse at it the more I work at it, kind of like Broodwar.  I have no sense of where the profit is.  I just seem to sit around breaking even until bad beats come and drain me of buyins.

Re: hrm schedualling...

perisie xx
Poker is a game where....I have played 7700 hands with a profit of -$20, or -1.22PTBB/100, but am yet still confident that I am playing with +EV "in the long term". [And in this particular case, would estimate my "luckless" profit to be closer to +$30 - a difference of $50 - if not a whole lot more.]

Imagine if in every Starcraft game you played you could state "oh I was unlucky" or "oh he got lucky". In Starcraft, this is simply not the case; in poker it is. The feeling of defeat might be similar, but hopefully you will cease to make this comparison and submit that you simply have to play a whole lot of poker before you'll begin to SEE the results of how you play.

I know this sounds off-putting in one respect, but if you think that ... 1000 hands per day for 6 months = 180,000 hands ...

Re: hrm schedualling...

What makes it off putting is that a learning player like me, who can't be sure they were playing right, has to just wonder and basically assume I play bad--but I can't learn from my mistakes until I discover specific ones.  I am not able to learn from my play very much in poker because the skill to know what to look for and how to look at it is precisely what I'm lacking.  Maybe this is like SC too.

Re: hrm schedualling...

perisie xx
Yes, it's hard -

In SC it's hard because, say, you might seldom reach mid/lategame because your early game is bad (or you play difficult opponents), so you miss out on many things that way.

In poker it's hard because, until you try something (and try it many times I might add), you don't know what the result is gonna be. I know some players have gone back to smaller stakes and just played literally every single hand/seen showdown every time - simply to see exactly what's going on at all times. etc